(815) 929-9292
(217) 328-2828
(217) 443-4343
Habla Español

Fire breaks out at J&R Used Tire Service Inc

A fire, which started after an engine spark ignited rubber dust, according to Hoopeston Fire Chief Cliff Crabtree, broke out at J&R Used Tired Service Inc. this Wednesday. The fire began at 5:20 a.m. and is expected to burn for a few days. According to Fire Chief Crabtree, he “expects to be [there] another 24-36 hours.”

Although one man was sent to a local hospital for smoke inhalation, he was released soon after being admitted and no other injuries have yet to be reported.

Several residents living in the Hoopeston area have been displaced due to smoke. The Red Cross has set up temporary shelters for these people in various locations. It has also set up several air conditioned tents to provide the emergency responders with a place to escape the heat and smoke.

In addition to the Danville Fire Department’s hazardous materials division, which was on site to check the air quality, several fire and police departments from the surrounding area have responded to the scene of the fire.