A 63-year-old man lost his life in a vehicle-bicycle collision in Danville on Thursday, July 2. The accident occurred around 6:15 p.m. on East Main and California streets. The coroner’s office and Danville Police Department are continuing to investigate the incident.
In light of this unfortunate accident, it is important to remember safe riding and driving tips for cyclists and vehicle drivers.
- Wear a safety helmet
- Check your equipment before riding
- Watch for and avoid road hazards
- Go with the traffic flow
- Make yourself visible to others by wearing reflective clothing or using flashing lights
- Obey all traffic laws
- Yield to traffic
- Stay alert at all times
- Watch for parked cars
- Use bike lanes or paths when available
For vehicle drivers:
- Check twice before passing a cyclist
- Remember that cyclists are harder to see
- Do not drive distracted
- Keep at least three feet of space between you and the bike
- Always check blind spots for cyclists
- Pay special attention when approaching crosswalks
During the summer season, drivers can expect to see more cyclists on roadways, making it crucial for drivers and cyclists to stay alert and maintain safe driving and riding habits. If you or a loved one were injured in a collision while on a bike, contact Spiros Law, P.C. today at (217) 443-4343. One of our attorneys will be available to discuss your situation and determine if you will be able to receive financial compensation.
Categories: Personal Injury