Sexual Abuse in Nursing Homes
Sexual abuse of the elderly in nursing homes is shockingly prevalent and under-investigated. There have been 86 reported cases in Chicago since 2007, but only 1 arrest. Of 119 nursing homes in the city, 25% had reports of sexual abuse. Elderly abuse is unfortunately common in nursing homes for several reasons. One important reason is that the elderly are often less able to speak out or defend themselves against such inexcusable abuse.
The Danville nursing home abuse lawyers of Spiros Law, P.C., are eager to stand up in defense of nursing home abuse victims. If you or a loved one has been the victim of nursing home abuse, contact our offices today at (217) 443-4343.
Signs of Sexual Abuse
An elderly victim may be too scared or physically incapable to talk about their abuse, so it is important to be able to recognize the signs of nursing home sexual abuse. If you see any of the following, you may have reason for concern:
- Bruising around the legs, genitals, buttocks, or breasts
- Vaginal or anal bleeding unrelated to a health condition
- The appearance of a sexually transmitted infection
- Torn or stained clothing
- Bruises or cuts around the wrists or ankles from restraints
- Sudden onset of difficulty walking or sitting
- Sudden change in behavior, especially aggression or fear toward hospital staff
If a loved one has exhibited any of these signs of abuse, you may want to talk to them about their experience in the nursing home. You may even consider calling for an investigation of the nursing home.
Nursing home abuse is a serious injustice. If your loved one has suffered in a nursing home, please call the Danville nursing home abuse attorneys at Spiros Law, P.C., at (217) 443-4343 to learn more about your rights today.